Coffee & Code: R Data Cleaning
This workshop is part of UNM's Research Data Services Coffee & Code workshop series that focus on tools and strategies that make data management, analysis, visualization, communication, and sharing more efficient and more fun. This Spring we are doubling the fun with two workshops each month for February, March, and April.
This workshop will will provide a hands-on introduction to cleaning data using the R analytic programming language and the RStudio Integrated Development Environment (IDE) within which R analyses can be written. R is an open source language that runs in the Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems and provvices a set of tools that enable a wide range of data analyses. In this workshop we will provide hands-on experience using a variety of R tools to:
- Identify and correct structural issues in source data that can prevent clean import into R data structures
- Check for and handle data type errors
- Check for and handle missing data values
- Split up fields that contain multiple values in a single field
- Check for anomalous values and otherwise explore data to become familiar with its content and structure
In response to recommendations of social distancing and minimizing personal interaction to reduce opportunities for transmission of the COVID-19 virus RDS is moving our workshops online for the foreseeable future. Please register so that we can send you any updates to the workshop connection information or scheduling.
Setup instructions are provided in the README.md file in the workshop's GitHub repository.
This workshop will be virtually presented via Zoom. Zoom connection information will be sent out as part of the workshop reminder the day before the workshop.
Related LibGuide: Data Workshops and Webinars by Karl Benedict
- Friday, March 26, 2021
- 9:00am - 11:00am
- Time Zone:
- Mountain Time - US & Canada (change)