Zotero workshop by University Libraries -- April 2023 Online
Save time by adopting a bibliographic-manager tool for research literature management. Save articles from your database and online searching, download a desktop application to organize them in your personal library, and use a plug-in to insert formatted in-text citations and full bibliographies within MS Word and Google Docs documents.
Never heard of a bibliographic manager? Bibliographic management tools, like Zotero, help researchers of all levels—undergraduate, graduate, faculty and staff, and beyond—collect descriptive records and full-text copies of research literature items, organize the records, and use that data to easily insert formatted citations during writing. The desktop application helps you organize your literature collection the same way as you would a music library.
Related LibGuide: Zotero: A Beginner's Guide by Todd Quinn
Recommended prep work for University Libraries Zotero workshop
NOTE: Class time is not well suited for individual installation troubleshooting. Endeavor to download the software prior to class and contact librarians with any issues. Attendees are also welcome to follow along with the instructor in place of hands-on work.
- If you use Microsoft Word, close all Microsoft Office products prior to downloading Zotero.
- This allows Zotero to add a plug-in to the Word application during installation, which is beneficial for in-text citations and bibliographies.
- Google Docs provides the add-in once you add the Connector (See point 4 below.)
- Go to https://zotero.org/download using a Firefox or Chrome browser window.
- Download and install Zotero 6.0 (Note: you must have administrator rights on your computer.)
- Install the Zotero Connector for your browser (Recommend using Firefox or Chrome.)
- Create a Zotero account (https://www.zotero.org). The account allows you to backup citations/abstracts in the cloud, giving you access anywhere you’ve got internet, and let’s you share citations with a group.
Review the University Libraries Zotero Beginner’s Guide at https://libguides.unm.edu/zotero.